The first two weeks in particular are all about survival. I'm talking endless coffee, a husband who feeds you (because you will be so busy trying to feed your adorable offspring that food will become an afterthought), and lots of baby wipes.We totally overuse baby wipes.
I would recommend and/or gift every one of these items to my friends who are expecting. Other honorable mentions go to these for burping and this Ubbi Diaper Pail to contain the smells!
1. Aden and Anais Swaddle Blankets: Definitely a favorite registry item. They are pretty large and make swaddling so easy! We have 8 of them (2 sets) and I'm strongly considering getting more.
2. Boppy Changing Pad Covers: Particularly helpful if you have a boy... things can get pretty rogue. We haven't had to switch out the changing pad cover quite as much thanks to these!
3. Solly Baby Wrap: I was intimidated to use this at first but I don't really know why, its SO easy! Watch the newborn carry video online (here) and practice with a stuffed animal if you're nervous at first. I love it for walks and I even wore it around the outlet mall since navigating a stroller in stores can be complicated. Rowan falls right asleep when I put him in it. He even slept past his feeding time which is really rare because this kid wakes every 3 hours like clockwork to eat.
4. H&M Side Snap Onesies: Am I the only one that can't manage to get a regular onesie on my kid?! Newborns are so floppy and I hate putting things over his head. These H&M onesies are super easy to put on him, they're organic cotton so they are super soft, and they wash up well (even after massive diaper blow outs... believe me, we've tested!)
5. Wubbanubs: Pretty much every mom recommends these and I'm one of them. Rowan couldn't hold a paci in his mouth at first so we tried a bunch of different kinds. Then one day he decided he loves his wubbanub and holds onto it with his little hands, its so cute!
6- Mamaroo: We debated which swing to get Rowan and I'm so glad we went with the Mamaroo! He is so happy in it and seems to like all of the settings and sounds. Its compact for small spaces and seems more sturdy than the traditional swings.(We have the old version which is cheaper!)
7- Covered Goods Nursing/Car Seat Cover: We've ventured out in public a few times so far and every single time we do, I get questions about my Covered Goods nursing cover. It doubles as a car seat cover and I absolutely love it because it keeps the wind off of my sweet babe and strangers' prying hands (and germs) away from him. I also have 2 DIY nursing covers that I use when this is the laundry.
8- Graco Little Lounger: This is Graco's version of the Rock 'n Play and we love it because it gives you the option to lay your baby flat or at an incline. There are locks if you don't want it to move and a vibrating function. Rowan has slept in this beside our bed the first month because I'm too nervous to have him downstairs in his crib overnight just yet.
I know many of you are expecting so I hope this helps! Anyone have other things to add? If you have questions feel free to ask!